Saturday, February 13, 2010

February's pocket


Back and front of Feb's pocket. It really looks nice in person but I'm afraid I was a bit shakey taking the photos so I only got 2 good ones.

I started out with traditional reds and whites and pinks with the plan of creating a whimsical traditional valentine pocket. But I'll be honest - I wasn't really in the mood for much mooshyness. I haven't a valentine this year for the first time in 30 years. My hands kept drawing me away from the reds to the glittery whites and pale pinks. So I went with it. I followed the trails of the lace with the first one bisecting the piece with silver beads and white twisted bugle beads. Initially I had planned the leaves (the purple things) would represent all the things I love, then they wouldn't stay in place so I felt the need to bead till they did (for the most part anyway), so now they looked like they were kind of 'displaced', which is kind of how I have been feeling since the divorce. So the beading took on a life of its own as I beaded the last 6 months or so of my life into this pocket. The twists and turns the dead-ends, the feeling of having a frozen heart, delicate and easily shattered. Within all this is the little bright spots, the butterfly, the 'flowers', the little clear hearts and purple hearts dangling here and there, for the times I stepped out of my comfort zone to walk a little in this new and strange world of being single. And in the center I purposely added a little 'green' to all this glittery paleness to represent the possibilities that are out there and to remind myself that hope is there - hope for a better year, for good times, better health and maybe even hope for my heart.

9 comments:

  1. i don't think the leaves look displaced at all. i think all your elements are wonderful representations of all that you talked about. i think it's a really wonderful piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this pocket has told your story beautifully ~ I wish you sunshine & rainbows along the new path that you are walking. The touch of green makes it all magicial as if new life is about to spring forth & blossom..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely - wish I could see it in person! I still think it's a cool idea to bead on jeans pockets too :- )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely! I am enjoying your idea for doing pockets very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all there, Kat!!! I'm so impressed with how you let your life hang out on this piece and with tenderness too... Everthing is there, the hope, the lonliness, the frozen yet still delicate heart. It's almost a self-portrait taken at this exact time in your journey to whatever is next. I love it!

    Robin A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks everyone! It was a journey for sure. And this months seems to be another.... a portrait of lifes ups and downs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow - that's really pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a pretty piece in spite of all the lovelife upheaval. You really are working your way through a lot of feelings. Good for you. I hope you feel like it's doing you better than holding them all in.

    ReplyDelete